Saturday, November 17, 2012

My Fall & Winter Vintage Wardrobe Must Haves


Something I've noticed is that I can't really find a complete guide on how a gal like me can dress vintage into the more colder months. Previously this hadn't been a major issue, but with my recent move to a more colder climate this time of year it has become more of an issue then before. However, upon recently being sweetly given a lovely sum of true vintage clothing from the late 1960's (luckily she was more of a traditional and mod styled gal in her youth.) into the  very early 1970's, I have some nice true vintage pieces to mix in and make a scrumptious Fall/Winter Wardrobe. While I do not have photographs of  what I'm wearing this season, I will supply photos and links below to things similar or very close to mine. Enjoy my lovelies!

The Cape:

        I adore fur, vintage or faux it doesn't matter, I simply adore it! It's glamours and it keeps me warm. I have had my eye on 1920's - 1930's vintage coat at an antique store for quite some time now, but I recently decided that I was going to go with a cape this winter, so all my lovely full skirted party dress will not get crushed as I suit up to bear the cold. I bought mine new, but that doesn't mean you can't find a great vintage fur cape, you just have to know where to look and being blessed with a lovely friend who kept all her now vintage goodies and would gladly pass them on to you, or have a well stocked antique or thrift stores.
I bought mine from the Rose Tree Boutique at my local mall. Here is something similar to mine. However it is snow white, with a brown/gray fur.
Sweaters: 

        Whether long and loose or fitted and waist length, sweater wearing is not unfamiliar with vintage dressing. Marilyn Monroe was shot wearing many sweaters in throughout her career. And then there is the image of a young lady ready for winter weather in a beautiful vintage sweater. I wear both through out this time of year depending on what I'm doing. If I have time and want to really put forth that effort, I wear a more fitted sweater with a full skirt and heels or flats. If I'm more relaxed or in a hurry, my hair just out of pin curls, I'll throw on my dad's old red Oscar De La Renta sweater with black leggings and flats. (I still want to know how on earth he's obtained anything Oscar De La Renta.)

Boots: 
 
   I prefer heels always and to anything when I make a plan to leave my house, but heels are not always wise to wear out in ice and snow. I'm reminded of an episode on some TLC show where Doris Mayday informs us she will wear trash bags over her shoes before wearing modern boots. I have not yet turned to this point because I have found some relatively vintage looking boots that should keep my toes nice and warm all winter. Here are some options that are great and easier to come by then a true wearable vintage pair.  1.These actually are strikingly similar to the ones I actually have. 2. 3. Of course if you do find a gem, never pass it up. Buy the pretty vintage babies and proudly wear them as often as you can!
Wool Dresses/Skirts:

   A gal should never underestimate the power of wool, especially vintage wool! A good wool dress/skirt, while if not worn with a slip or other undergarment may be itchy, can keep you warm without over heating you! If you're like me and hate wearing pants no matter what its like outside, this may be the best find you obtain for the cold weather, next to finding warm tights/stockings! With the craze on sweater dresses over the past two years, its super easy to find modern dresses with vintage flair that will keep you warm! Of course true vintage or making your own never hurt anyone. I think this is just adorable if you do chose the remake route or get lucky and find vintage!


Hats:
What decent vintage gal doesn't wear a hat when she goes out in public? You also don't feel like it too? Oh good. Any who, I love wearing hats all year long, but in this time of year my high school does not frown so strongly as they normally would. It never hurts to have a selection of hats to choose from so they'll match coats, gloves, dresses, ect. But having a neutral beret (or one that matches your winter wear accessories), a nice fur pill box hat and a little vintage hat that matches your coat and could be worn all year are a great foundation to have. From there you can of course add awesome decorative hats with really no purpose and act more as a hair accessory, play on the amazing and sometimes wild styled hats and of course the classic and never out of style cloche hat. This too is just too adorable to pass up!
Other:

Here I am at a loss, I could go into pants, or accessories, but those are generally simple to make accommodation for in the cooler months. 1930's wool Navy issue pants are perfect and any handbag or clutch that matches your dress, shoes, and or coat would be perfect, winter does not call for a drastic change in that department. Vintage gloves, now a days are easy to come by, all you need to have is a color scheme (as I've mentioned before) and the knowledge that gloves were made, like most things, smaller back then. Do not be discouraged if you have larger hands, modern gloves too can have a vintage flair too.


If you have any questions, or things to add to the list, leave a comment down below. Have fun, stay stylish and keep warm this season!

XOXO,
Leah Lolita

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;